From 1 October 2022, businesses will need to make all their import declarations using the Customs Declarations Service.
As registration can take time, HMRC has been urging businesses to move to the Customs Declaration Service now and providing help and support to help them prepare for the change. HMRC has also been advising them to use customs agents that can make import declarations for them.
However, HMRC understands that some traders may not be able to migrate in time which is why they are allowing CHIEF badge holders to seek permission for a short extension to use CHIEF beyond 30 September, if they have a clear business reason. They will be able to apply using an online form.
Following are the key messages below about the continued access process:
- Import declarations need to be made using the Customs Declaration Service from 1 October 2022. You need to act now and there is help and support available on Gov.UK and YouTube.
- If you know you can’t be ready for that date, you should consider using a customs agent who can help you. We have a list on Gov.UK.
- If you are unable to use CDS for your import declarations or use a customs agent, HMRC is allowing CHIEF badge holders to seek permission for a short extension to use CHIEF beyond 30 September, if you have a clear business reason. You need to apply using an online form and further details are available on Gov.UK.
- Those that successfully apply for an extension will be provided with help and support to move to the Customs Declaration Service as soon as possible.
- A limited group of declarants are unable to fully migrate their imports so can continue to use CHIEF for imports without having to apply for continued use. HMRC will contact those declarants directly to let them know.
- If you continue to use CHIEF from 1 October 2022 without permission, HMRC reserves the right to remove your access.
Further help and support
Please use HMRC’s online resources:
- support and guidance on GOV.UK
- ‘how to’ videos on how to subscribe to the Customs Declaration Service
- Customs Declaration Service toolkit which includes the trader checklist or declarant checklist